Thread Closed

Thread Closed

FIRST!

Sorry, guys. I swallowed your orders for safe keeping, but now I can't seem to hock them back up.

Heirloom pumpkins? Perhaps they'll grow into my great grandmother's jewellery box!

"You'll find it's a very small universe when I'm angry with you"

Her jewelry box is made of pumpkin?

Sorry, guys. I swallowed your orders for safe keeping, but now I can't seem to hock them back up.

Happy Birthday, Zoe!

I saw The Neon Demon this afternoon. It went in a direction I wasn't expecting, and didn't actually understand that well. It was all a bit weird.

We saw Finding Dory. We liked it. There was also a really nice short film before it, called Piper.

Still Lurking, nothing to add to conversations. Have no real desire to see Dory, or Pets. Waiting on the new Borne film and the new Trek.

I am NOT slurring my words, I am speaking in cursive...

Happy Birthday, Lexi.

Ditto.

We have lost so many.....Lexi, Stephanie, Allie, .... snif......

I wonder how many of them have gone on to catch pokemon in inappropriate places?

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone has caught anything at the Moonlite Bunny Ranch?

See what I did there? 

I went to see Now You See Me 2 this evening. I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought Dan Radcliffe was great, and Lizzy Caplan was also very good.

Happy Birthday, Ben!

It has been far too hot. I do not handle heat well.

I found Dory the same place I found Nemo: sushi.

We're getting some heat right now too. Supposed to be 100° Thursday.

What sort of a man doesn't carry a trowel?

Saw the new Ghostbusters, it was good, I probably still like the original better (simply because I am old and set in my ways), having the original cast in cameos saved it....wait for the after credit last scene.

Belated thanks on the birthday wishes. Dad's is today. I got him the Kindle edition of The Martian.

While it hasn't hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit yet, the humidity has made it feel that hot.

You're on fire! You're on fire, stupid!!!

It has cooled down a bit later this week.

I saw Ghostbusters last night, too. I enjoyed it, but can't remember any of the lines I found funny at the time. The original is better, but this was still good.

Blarg

Yesterday I went to see Star Trek Beyond (good, but clearly a notch below the last two efforts and already the rebooted universe is feeling a bit tired) and The BFG (good, but missing something, Rafe Spall's ever-changing accent was a bit of a distraction in the last third, and the ending felt a bit flat).

Turns out, when I booked online, I actually booked for today's showing of bfg, no one seemed to notice. I only discovered it today when my phone (which seems to read my emails and set up reminders for me) let me know the film was starting.

2 cups of strong coffee and I'm still tired.

That was so mismatched with my avatar.

So, any funny stories of people doing stupid things with that Pokemon Go app?

I've not gotten into Pokemon Go at all. I'm quite surprised by how massively popular it's been.

I've read stories bout people finding dead bodies while out playing. And I've heard about an area of Sydney (I think, or somewhere in Australia) that is really densely populated, and has one area of housing by a park that was a pokemon hot spot. The people that lived there got fed up with thousands of people showing up late into the night, they started throwing eggs and water balloons at them.

That last scenario, sadly, seems to be the most common. One of my coworkers was camping with some friends, and kept having a problem with groups of players rudely barging into their campsite to catch pokemon. Also, there are more instances of people playing it in historic places where doing so is inappropriate. I'd say it has found a niche amongst rude, inconsiderate people.

I am curious, though... ...If you play while in a moving vehicle, is there a chance of pokemon roadkill? *splat-splat-splat*

This weekend's cinema visit was for Jason Bourne (like they were following a checklist to make a bourne movie, all right, but not quite as good as the previous ones) and Finding Dory (good, but it felt like it was lacking a certain something).

I felt like crossing the Pacific was unusually uneventful in Finding Dory.

We bought an outdoor table and chair set for the back porch.

I suppose the idea was that the first film had so much going on in crossing the ocean, it seemed too repetitive, so they focused on Dory's adventures instead.

In other news, my copy of the script book for the cursed child arrived today. A day late. After the supposed final delivery time (Amazon delivery guy's van broke down, apparently). Got £5 promotional credit for the delay. Will probably dstart reading it tomorrow.

After the last two electric bills, I'm ready for Summer to end.

I'm not sure summer has really got under way here. We had a week in early June where it was quite warm, and one in the middle of July that was wear shorts-to-work hot. But they passed. We've had strong winds and pendulous clouds.

I'm going to a midnight showing of Suicide Squad tonight. Hope I can stay awake...

I've made a start on The cursed child, but it's not really pulling me in, yet. It's weird reading a book in script format.

I mostly liked suicide squad. It has flaws, and some of the criticism is fair, but I felt there was enough good in it to say I liked it.

I think that means the FAQ Groundhog saw his shadow and we have six more weeks of tumbleweeds.

Nope; the south groundhog saw his shadow and ran back in the hole, he knew that meant 6 weeks of blistering sunshine and heat with avg temps around 36C (I did that for Adam and Stephanie).

The West Groundhog did not see his shadow because of the rain, he couldn't go back in the hole since it was flooded. He currently lives in Government Housing (i.e.Mobile Home) which has no protection from the forest fire coming towards it.

The East Groundhog flat out just did not care. He looked at his choices from New York...Clinton or Trump...and decided that the entire prediction thing was a waste of time. Went back to his hole, ordered pizza, has not been seen since.

The North Groundhog simply shook his head and moved to Canada.

Kodos 2016!

Still working through Cursed Child. It feels like I would normally have gotten through it by now.

I just got done reading another of Dad's books. This is the third in his military series. It was quite entertaining. However, he does need to seriously edit the thing for spelling errors. Simple stuff that spellchecker would miss: "If" instead of "of" and so forth. And I'm pretty sure he meant the "Swiss" ambassador, and not the "Swill" ambassador.

I dunno, Swill Ambassadors are pretty important in the military, so I hear...

I powered through and finished Cursed Child last night. I quite liked it, once I got into it. Very touching.

I have made it through Act I. I will start ACT II tomorrow. Try to finish Part 1 and then maybe finish Part II later this weekend. I agree, not used to reading scripts.

This week's cinema was a second viewing of suicide squad. Still like it.

Am considering making the switch to a mac...

I don't think I'd ever switch to Mac.

Why not?

Had one before. Not many good games available.

Ah. I'm not a big gamer, and when I do play games it tends to be on consoles rather than pcs. Also, I mean switching to a macbook rather than a laptop.

I'm not one for the online multiplayer games. I'm more into sandbox and creativity types. Steam has been a great source for those. Two big favorites of mine are Kerbal Space Program and Space Engineers. Both require some significant processing and graphical power, and to meet those requirements on a Mac would bankrupt us. Besides, I don't think they're available on Mac. 

As for switching from a laptop to a Macbook, I don't really use laptops.

Yeah, the macbooks are expensive, though I do get a discount if I buy through work (I work at a university so get an education staff discount).

~~~
Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile. 

Something I came up with, on a Star Wars board:

The following takes place prior to the events in The Empire Strikes Back:

To: C.O.,Rogue Squadron
Subj: T-47 cold weather adaptors
Ref# A45-9756CYB.WTF?

Commander Skywalker,

We've recieved your requisition for equipment to modify your T-47 airspeeders. As we understand your request, you wish to enable them to operate at sub-freezing (<0.00°C) temperatures. As you should be aware, this modification is not listed under your Table of Organization and Equipment (TO&E). Unless you can provide documentation from you Division General (in triplicate), stating that these modifications are necessary, we will be unable to process your requisition.

END TRANSMISSION

Commanding Officer's Log, Rogue Squadron
Luke Skywalker, Commanding

I finally got all of the forms and permission slips that Procurement required. General Rieekan was quite sympathetic to our dilemma. Turns out our TO&E had not been updated for our new base at 《LOCATION REDACTED》, since we're concerned about keeping its location secret. He suggested that, next time, I first discuss our needs with the Quartermaster. I've been told she has a droid that's really good at scrounging. Not much need for that right now. The heating units for our T-47s are due on tomorrow's transport. Supposedly the Tauntaun series are the best at keeping our speeders functioning in the cold.

Commanding Officer's Log, Rogue Squadron
Luke Skywalker, Commanding

I can't believe it! How in the Force could Procurement make such a screw up!? I requested 50 Tauntaun series heating units for our T-47s... We get 50 Tauntauns instead. Sithspit! The smell in that transport would gag a dianoga. The transport Captain threatened to lose any future Rogue Squadron supplies, if we didn't clean up after our new hairy friends. I thought about sending a follow up message to Procurement. "Does Luke Skywalker have to force choke a 《LANGUAGE REDACTED》?" sounded good at the time. Thankfully, Wedge talked some sense into me. Time to walk down to the Quartermaster's office to see what Emtrey can find for us.

This was in Luke's inbox, when he got back from Dagobah and Bespin:

To: C.O.,Rogue Squadron
Subj: T-47 cold weather adaptors
Ref# A45-9756CYB.WTF?

Commander Skywalker,

After hearing of the recent loss of our secret base, on Hoth, we now see why you needed the requested Tauntaun series heating units for your T-47 airspeeders. We apologize for any delay this confusion has caused. Upon examination, we have further discovered that instead of 50 Tauntaun series heating units, you recieved 50 Tauntauns instead. We further apologize for this oversight and are working to correct this. You are hereby required to return all 50 Tauntauns to the regional supply depot. Naturally, we expect them to be in the same condition they were recieved. Failure to comply may result in reduction of pay until such time as the value is recompensed.

END TRANSMISSION

 

~~~

Hello Sonja, you are also missed around here.

I FINISHED HP and The Cursed Child, liked it.

I've heard bad things about that book, such as it's written very fanfiction-ish. I got curious and read some spoilers about it and yeah, it does sound a bit far fetched.

But I haven't read the actual thing so idk.

~~~

JKR came up with the story. The two theater guys turned it into a script. It is not a bad story. I am looking forward to the "Fantastic Beasts" movie and the new stories on Pottermore.

I guess my work of fiction gets summed up as "TLDR".

I decided to go for it. My macbook is being delivered next week.

Cat doesn't care, because... cat. 

I have nothing to contribute. 

~~~

It's our anniversary! 

Happy anniversary!

Happy Anniversary Ben and Sonja.

Cinema double bill yesterday. The Purge: Election Year (ok) and Mechanic: Resurrection (veered wildly between decent low budget action movie and poorly made action movie.

Thanks. <3

~~~

R.I.P., Gene Wilder

I watched Young Frankenstein last night.

Went to see Sausage Party (once you settle into the adult nature of the animation it seemed quite m'eh to me) and Morgan (decent, but not the deep and artistic picture it seemed to want to be).

Happy Labor Day and Happy Cheese Pizza Day.

Today is a federal holiday in the USA. No work. HAH...I RETIRED on Friday...I DONT CARE!!!

I will probably work some short term contracts before submitting for my retirement benefits, but for now, I am at home, with wife and dogs, and life is good.

Congratulations! I've got about 20 more years to go, but I don't mind.

Got back from Mom & Dad's. Zoe had fun visiting her grandparents. Sonja and I got out to a place we like in South Carolina to shop for some liquor. Sonja got a bottle of Rum Haven Coconut Rum, and I got a bottle of South Carolina Select Club Canadian Whiskey.

sssshhh!

We are hunting wabbits...

Glad to read you made it to a wet county. Watch out for the smokies.

East bound. And I'm loaded up and truckin'

and down?

Enjoy your retirement, Bo!

Cinema double bill last night: Kubo and the Two Strings (very beautiful, good film, but quite dark and intense for kids); Don't Breathe (decent teen horror, but got a little silly in the third act and the resolution leaves a lot of questions that require a leap of logic/just accepting things).

Saw "Sully" and liked it.

I had a second cinema visit thi weekend to see Anthropoid (very good) and Captain Fantastic (also very good).

le bump

Das Bump

I saw Hell or High Water last night and thought it was rather good.

I just got back from watching Hunt for the Wilderpeople which was really good.

ARRRRR! It be national Talk Like a Pirate Day! AVAST! Fetch me yon rum!

Do you doubt me?
I doubt any god who... inflicts pain... for his own pleasure.

I went to see this last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dI-SHobau4

And yesterday's cinema visit was The Girl With All the Gifts (very good) and The Magnificent Seven (ok)

Saw the season premier of Star Wars: Rebels. Tom Baker voiced a new character. No sign of any blue boxes, though.

Do you doubt me?

Saw The Magnificent Seven. I agree, good, still like the Yul Brenner version better, but this was solid and kept two of my favorite lines from the original..."so far, so good" and
"if God did not want them sheared why did he make them sheep".

I like the movie it was based on: Seven Samurai.

Don't you hate it when you accidentally bite the inside of your lip, and then accidentally bite the same spot again within an hour?

Do you doubt me?

Geez. I've been gone longer than I realized. Nice to see I wasn't missed.

;)

Of course you were missed. You were missed so much, it was too painful to bring up.

Twitter just blew my mind. The kid who tried to steal a guitar in The Blues Brothers grew up to be Argyle the limo driver in Die Hard.

I went to see Swiss Army Man this evening. I thought it would be funnier, but it was good.

Saw Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I think we liked it. Lots of time travel paradox discussion, but it kept your interest. Adam, was that a true Welsh accent or some movie company trying to pass off a bad cockney as Welsh? (Innkeeper, town folks).

I've not seen it yet. I'll let you know when I have. May not be until next weekend.

Less than a month to go until The Walking Dead starts its new season.

Do you doubt me?

I saw Miss Peregrine last night. I mostly liked it. I think the Welsh accents were real, at least for the kids.

Thursday night I went to see The Greasy Strangler at a special advanced screening with a Q&A with the director, the producer and executive director (Ben Wheatley who directed High Rise). It was very weird and crude, but a clear cult film, and quite fun. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4381236/

Yesterday evening I went to see War on Everyone which was good, but not as good as the director's previous film The Guard. I followed up on that with Girl on the Train. I like Emily Blunt, but the film was a bit disappointing. Seemed to be sold as this year's gone girl, but it wasn't quite that good, and it seemed quite insubstantial.

It's a rainy day.

It's all coming from Hurricane Michael, but it's not bad right now. Just a little wind and rain. We live in an area high enough that flooding isn't a concern.

Do you doubt me?

Nice and cool outside.
Freezing cold in the lab.

Do you doubt me?

Weather is turning here, too. Evenings and mornings are getting colder.

I went to see American Honey last night. It was decent, but long.

I went to see Return of the Caped Crusaders last night, and loved it.

It warmed back up. Around 80°F. And the heat came on in the lab.

Do you doubt me?

I made a couple of new woodburnings a few weekends ago.
http://brg-studios.deviantart.com/art/Rugged-Mountains-on-Oak-639415037
http://brg-studios.deviantart.com/art/Riverside-Mountains-on-Bald-Cypress-639413958

Do you doubt me?

Very impressive.

Still cold here. And the mornings are getting darker making it harder to wake up.

I saw Jack Reacher last night. It felt quite 'old' fashioned, and did feel, especially early on, that it seemed to be zipping through the book (not that I've read it). I followed that up with Inferno which was not great.

Saw The Accountant and enjoyed it. I agree with you on Jack Reacher, I liked the first one (although not a Cinematic Masterpiece still entertaining), this one dragged.

We saw the season premier of The Walking Dead. That was hard to get through, emotionally. This season is going to be very dark, I expect.

Do you doubt me?

One of my work friends was telling me about watching the latest episode of walking dead. Sounded intense.

I have just got back from Doctor Strange. I liked it. It does feel like Marvel are moving away from 'fun'. Things seem to have been getting darker and more serious with a lot of their recent movies (CA2+3 in particular). The kid beside me was audibly sighing (like with boredom) after 10mins because it was taking it's time to set up the character (I found it interesting, but the kid annoyed me). That's not to say it doesn't have humour, it does, it was just more serious in its story than say Ant Man or Iron Man. Still, a good addition to the Marvel Cannon. I look forward to seeing it in 3D tomorrow (my friends wanted to see it after I'd booked for this evening, and tomorrow is the only day we're all available). There were some incredible visuals. The music seemed a little off to me. It kept sounding like the Star Trek score, and there was an oddly threatening crescendo in the final shot, which didn't really match what we were witnessing or how the film ended.

Stay seated for the traditional 2 end credits scenes.

Went to see Train to Busan last night. A fun South Korean movie about a father taking his young daughter to visit her mother in Buasn, only to find that the train is infested with Zombies.

Happy Birthday Quibbler. We miss you Stephanie.



Happy Birthday, Quib!



Do you doubt me?

Zoe had a good Halloween. She got so much candy, she couldn't hold her bucket for long. We had to carry it for her, in the end.

Do you doubt me?

New rule: if someone has to carry your halloween bucket, they get to pick some candy for themselves.

New rule?

Do you doubt me?

Of course.

Saw Doctor Strange. Really liked it. Of course SHERLOCK did a great job, really nailed it. Liked the entire movie along with the end credit scenes.

Blues Brothers and Die Hard take place in the same universe?

Interesting idea...

If only Die Hard was set in Chicago it would explain how the brothers got the old police car...

Happy election day, america. Hope you vote!

I saw Nocturnal Animals on Sunday. Very good, quite dark.

I remember seeing the Brexit result come in and just being crushed by this sense of disconnect from my country like it wasn't the country I had thought it was, and a feeling of disappointment that my country chose fear and isolationism, and disappointed by the rise in xenophobia and racism.

Watching the results come in for the US election, I'm getting some similar feelings...

I voted for Libertarian candidates in the past three elections. I'm always disappointed.

Do you doubt me?

I don't think I've ever voted for a winning candidate. But then, there was never an openly racist, sexist, homophobic, misogynist narcissist who built his fortune on daddy's money, bankruptcy and screwing over the working man who won over my preferred candidate.

I went to see Arrival on Thursday evening. I liked it, but wasn't blown away. The bulk of my enjoyment came from not knowing how it played out, and I don't know that I would enjoy it on a second watch.

Yesterday evening I went to see Free Fire - the opening film in the Cine City film festival that is running over the next couple of weeks over here. It gets a general release next March, so that's kinda cool. It's a film that starts with a gun deal that goes wrong and then the bulk of the movie is a shoot out. It's fun, loud, violent.

Saw ARRIVAL tonight, very intense, I agree with your thoughts. Interesting story.

Going to a midnight showing of fantastic beasts tomorrow evening.

I hope its good.

Do you doubt me?

Dad emailed me yesterday, saying that the U.S.S. Iowa store is interested in selling woodburning plaques of the ship.
Similar to this: http://brg-studios.deviantart.com/art/The-Showboat-513662249
They want to start with 10 of them. Time to get some more wood.

Do you doubt me?

Going to see Fantastic Beasts tonight. Post tomorrow morning. Good news on the IOWA plaques.

Congrats on the plaques.

I enjoyed Fantastic Beasts.

Thanks, everyone.
I went to the craft store to get more of the wood I need, but they were all out. Instead, I pulled out my chop saw and cut up some maple logs I had drying in the shed. They make some nice blanks. I just need to sand them smooth now. In the future, though, I really need a band saw for this kind of work.

Do you doubt me?

And I think it's time for a new, fitting sig.

Fear God and Dreadnought!

Okay;

In order of importance...

. Saw Fantastic Beasts and REALLY liked it. Made me realize how much I miss being in that world with the books. Picked up the UK versions, will re-read them.

. Picked up part time consulting gig. A few hours each week. Additional income to my retirement.

. It is Sonja's birthday this week...[Birthday], wondering what Ben is making in the wood shop for her...

I have question why didit Professor Trelawney and Professor Spourt appear in this movie?.

Part of the reason for both is that the story was pared down to the point there wasn't room for them.

But also, Emma Thompson was working on Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang so wasn't available.

Happy birthday, Sonja!

Watching the results come in for the US election, I'm getting some similar feelings...

I've been experiencing some feelings myself. But we're in polite (right?) company, so I'll refrain.

Happy Birthday, Adam  

Have a wonderful day 

I hope the day warms up a bit for you 

🐕 She knew that smile, it was a promise for later.

Happy birthday! 

How the heck does everybody remember birthdays? 

Wow, I really should post more again. Remember when I used to post like ten times a day on this thread and everyone was annoyed at my constant Rupert worship? Bwahahaha... good times.

~~~
Cuz I got you saying Jesus so much, it's like we're laying in a manger.

It would be nice for all of the old posters to come back for a bit.

I could have sworn I posted here yesterday...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! (google calender is your friend, Sonja)

I saw Moana last night. Loved it.

Happy Belated Birthday Adam

I'm a poster and old. Does that count?

Guess not..?