Dan was a boorish, conservatieve prude
Many people are still talking about the dumb Roseanne controversy over that tweet that seems so minuscule compared to what many others get away with in Washington.
Let's get back to the actual sitcom. While John Goodman was an exceptional actor, I always thought Dan Connor was a horribly close minded jerk- almost borderline abusive. When ever he didn't get his way, he would slam his fists on the kitchen table, punch holes into the wall, tell people "to get out of my way, or I'm going to do it for you." He provoked violence in many situations, and despite some touching moments where he shows his feeling for his loved ones ("Crime and Punishment" sticking up for Jackie and the abusive Fisher; taking Roseanne out to dinner after Darlene and Becky con her on Mother's Day in "Don't Make Me Over"), I didn't care for him.
- He always complained about there never being enough work even though his skills were limited to dry walling.
- He was physically and mentally cruel to David, Darlene's boyfriend- but always stood up for Mark, even yelling at David that Mark "was a real man who took care of his family."
- He hated his father because his Dad actually was successful and encouraged Dan to try to do more.
- He held Roseanne back from accomplishing things like her writing career (the pitiful basement set up he did in season 2 was an excuse the writers threw in and then we don't see her do anything until the dumb finale in season 9).
- He has conservative values about race relations, with DJ kissing a black girl at school. He didn't want Roseanne to have the baby because he couldn't cope something might be wrong with it.
- He was not an educated person, and didn't even attempt to go back to school. His way with words often included the words "ain't" and "I's gonna get another beer."
Why Roseanne would want to stay with such a bully of a husband is beyond me. She even mentions to him many times that he often just sits on the couch watching TV, works only 6 months out of the year, never spends time with his kids past Darlene's basketball days, and goes around feeling pity for himself and his failures, while being jealous of others prevailing (including Roseanne and the restaurant).
The treatment of David was really what set me off. He actually put his hands on the kid for just kissing his girlfriend Darlene, and was at the point of rage so bad that Darlene and Roseanne both escape to Jackie's house. A more educated and level headed father would not have acted like he did. He belonged in prison. If I were David, I would have called my allegedly "abusive" mother and filed charges against Mr. Connor.
Anyone else seen Dan wasn't this "perfect" father many people praise him to be. Often they praise him because they just like John Goodman.