1. the kid talking to his finger is one the stupidest elements of any movie ever made, mystery science theater stuff
2. nicholson is hammy, seems like a serial killer rather than a father, right from the beginning
3. shelley duval is terrible, has no chemistry with her family, gawky and annoying, terrible casting
4. the kid has esp powers... why? he ends up getting haunted just like his mother and father who dont have powers, so it's useless
5. blood pouring by the gallon out of the elevator is not scary - it just looks like fruit juice
6. choice of music is heavy-handed, though kubrick does that in other films too
7. in terms of photgraphy, kubrick does nothing cinematically that he hadnt done before, just his standard shots you see in all his movies,
All those things are in the book.
Build a bridge and get over it.
i didn't know shelley duvalls performance was in the book must have been some book did you get the 'remedial readers' edition
Only the Stephen King version.
Don't worry - am just venting on these boards because it's closing in a few days.
feelingfine99 & Boner_Xmas
Please stop lying to yourselves.
The Shining is the best movie you've seen and will be the best movie you both will ever see.
Accept this fact.
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
Boner_Xmas said "did you get the 'remedial readers' edition "
mcgmcgmcg said "Only the Stephen King version."
I say "Same thing"
1. Danny talking to floating version of his future self is stupider.
2. Jack Torrance is crazy from the very start whether you like it or not. He is supposed to be.
3. A strong blonde such as the one in the novel is less likely to stay with a person like Jack so Shelley Duvall's take is more believable.
4. ..And he didn't in the novel??
5. What does blood look like then?
6. Music is fine
7. It's called 'style.' Every film director has one and they bring it through in all their films.
Jeez... people like you are cancer.