From what I've read on it, it's mostly complicated by international law and political manoeuvring.
1. I think grown adult people should be afforded as much freedom as possible. I still believe in having laws and enforcing them, but I don't think those laws should include things like pot. I don't do pot, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but I don't want other people to be forced into following my choices.
2. Morality and legality being two different things, sometimes ethics (we should be afforded freedoms) conflict with law (thou shalt not smoke a doob).
3. In cases of international law, obviously the laws of other countries must be respected. At this point, it seems like Griner should be in prison. She knew the law, didn't respect it, and got busted.
4. However... In this case we have somebody who had a small amount of personal use (medical?) marijuana in her possession and who was part of the Olympics. Given that the Olympics are a time when countries try to be friendly to one another, one would think that something innocuous like this would be given a pass. Perhaps Griner should be banned from re-entering Russia, given a fine, given a vastly reduced sentence, or kicked from the Olympics (for not respecting the other country) but jail for the length of time she's in for? That's nuts.
5. This is further exasperated by the observation many have made that Griner is being used as a pawn to get political prisoners released. Russia goes, "Hey, we've got your athlete, can we have our arms dealer back?" This is repugnant. Of course, there's a chance this is just a bi-product, but it really does seem like the whole thing was taking advantage of Griner's pot so the Russians could gain leverage and that's scummy.
6. Finally, as horrific as it might seem, the US should not trade Griner for arms dealers. They should negotiate for her release, sure, but exchanges need to be even, and a woman with a small amount of drugs is not the same thing as a gun-runner.
So, I guess mostly C, but with a tinge of B.
Russia never asked for their arms dealer back! It was the brain dead pedo joe biden who offered them this hardened criminal in exchange for a useless WNBA player. The Russians refused this offer and they're laughing at us for being dumb enough to even consider something so stupid...